Microsoft word users must know how to format their documents efficiently. There is no doubt in the importance of content, but the presentation of that content is equally important. You can easily recognize a difference between a well-polished document and an average Microsoft document. Microsoft word offers a wide range of formatting options. Double spacing your document is one of those many options that makes your document presentable. Double-space in Microsoft Word refers to the formatting option. You can add white space in your document to make it very easy to read, edit, and review. Here, in this article, you will discover how to double space in Word to make it more presentable.
The steps to enable double space in Microsoft Word are a bit different for different versions. Now, let’s proceed.
Apply double-space using the keyboard shortcut
You can also use Keyboard Shortcuts to double space your document.
Press Ctrl + 2 for double spacing.
How to double space in Word (2016/2013/Office 365)
1. From the Design Option:
- Click the “Design” option at the top bar.
2. Select Paragraph Spacing. The list of options will dropdown.
3. Click on “Double”.
Finally your entire Document is double spaced.
2. Double-space the line by modifying the Normal Style:
Word document begins with default style, paragraph, and character formatting. However, you can change the line spacing in normal style.
To set the normal mode
- Using the normal style, Tap on a paragraph.
- Tap on the home tab at the top.
- Right-click Normal, in the Style section. You’ll see a dialog box.
- Click Format from the dialog box. a menu will be dropped down.
- Now, click Paragraph from that drop-down menu. The Paragraph dialog box will popup.
- Click on Double, on the Line Spacing drop-down menu.
- Click OK.
How to double space in Word (2007/2010)
1. Set double space in the start
You can create double space in Word Document simply by setting the double space prior to working on Word. In order to do so, follow the guideline given below:
- Head to the Home tab.
- Locate the Paragraph section below
- Tap on the line spacing option, now you will see a dropdown menu.
- Now, from line spacing select the icon having lines with an up-down arrow and choose the general line spacing.
2. Double space By modifying Normal style
- First head to Microsoft Word.
- On the Home tab, move in the Styles group, and right-click on Normal.
- Click on Modify appears in the dropdown menu.
4. Now, click on double space Option under the format option.
3. Change spacing by Page Layout
- Click on the Page Layout tab appears at the top bar.
- Next to the paragraph section in the bottom right corner, click on the Down arrow icon, you’ll see a paragraph window.
- Move to the Indents and Spacing tab, in the paragraph window.
4. Now, tap on the down arrow icon appears next to the Line spacing box.
5. Click on Double and then press the “OK” button.
Double-space the selected section in Word document
For Word 2016/2013 users:
If you want to double space the selected section of your whole Document, follow these steps to do so:
- Select the section of your paragraph you want to double space.
- Now Right-click on any empty space and select Paragraph Option.
- You can also head to the home tab, appears at the top, and then move to the paragraph section. You’ll see an up-down arrow icon having lines in between, click on it, and select 2.0.
For Word 2007/2010 users:
If you want to double space the selected text in your Word 2007 or 2010, the process is quite same.
- Highlight the section of the document you want to double space, and move to the Home tab.
- Locate the Line and Paragraph Spacing appears under the Paragraph section.
- Click on 2.0 for Double spacing your selected text.
How to double space between paragraphs:
If you want to change the spacing between paragraphs, you can use the following instructions. Keep in mind that if you only want to apply these settings to one paragraph, you need to define that paragraph first.
For Word 2007/2010 users:
- Head to the Page Layout tab at the top.
- Locate the spacing options Paragraph spacing section.
- There are two fields you have to fill, before and after. If you want to double space before fill in before and if you want to change after fill after.
For Word 2016/2013 users:
- Head to the Design tab at the top.
- Locate the Paragraph Spacing option.
- Click on the down arrow and select Custom Paragraph Spacing. You’ll see a new window here.
- Simply fill in the Before and After fields In the Paragraph Spacing window.
How to Undo double space in Word
If for any reason you have to undo the double space in Word, you have to follow the same procedures as mentioned above according to your versions of word. Simply head to the line spacing and select 1.0 instead of 2.0.
You can also use keyboard shortcut for this:
Press Ctrl + 1 to undo the double spacing.
I hope, this article on how to double space in Word, will let you make your Word document well-optimized and well-polished. If you face any difficulty in doing so or if you know some other exciting method, you can ask your queries or share your experience in the comment section below.